Thursday, March 7, 2019
This April I will run my first ever half marathon in New York City. I am so excited and a little bit nervous. This marathon is called the SHAPE Women's Half Marathon. A half-marathon is a run that is 13.1 miles long. I have been training for this run for the past 12 weeks. I will be running this marathon with my two cousins and friends. Running can be fun and a great way to exercise. Depending on the weather I either run inside on a treadmill or outside on a trail. Running is also a good way to relieve stress. A lot of people find running to be therapeutic. I enjoy pushing myself to run further and further and creating new goals for myself. Running has always been a big part of my life and I am looking forward to accomplishing my first half marathon.
Link to learn more about my half marathon: https://www.nyrr.org/races/shapewomen39shalfmarathon
1. marathon-long distance running race
2. training-taking on a particular task of exercising
3. treadmill-an exercise machine for running or walking
4. trail- a path
5. relieve- take away something
6. therapeutic- calming or relaxing
7. accomplishing- to be successful or achieve a goal
1. Put the seven vocabulary words in alphabetical order on the lines below:
2. Change the word relieve, training, and accomplishing to the past tense:
3. Would you want to run in a marathon one day? Why or why not:
4. Fill in the blank: When I run inside I use a _____________________.
5. Create a sentence using the word trail:_________________________________________
Directions: Circle all the verbs in the paragraph. Choose 4 verbs you found and make 4 new sentences.
-Verbs are action words. Such as: ran, jumped, ate, played, yelled
I love almost all sports, but basketball is definitely my favorite sport. Basketball is a sport played with two teams of five players on each team. Growing up I played basketball with my friends and family. Playing basketball taught me teamwork, hard work, and dedication. I am lucky enough to now coach a sixth grade basketball team in Baldwin. My favorite basketball team is the NewYork Knicks. My family and I love watching the Knicks play on television as well as at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
Basketball has always been a big part of my life. I remember going to see my first live basketball as a child. I was amazed at how big the basketball court was. Basketball is a very fun, exciting, and fast paced game. I remember the stadium being packed out with cheering fans who were all wearing blue and orange.
1. Dedication: being committed to a task, give a lot of time to something
2. Stadium: a sports arena with many seats so people can watch a particular event or game
3. Teamwork: a group of people who work together towards the same goal or task
4. Hard work: Put a lot of effort into something so you can be successful
5. Players: A person who takes part in a game or sport
6. Fans: A spectator or person who watches a particular team and wants them to win
Vocabulary activity: Write about your favorite sport or a sport using four of the vocabulary words above.
Grammar activity: Change the verb tenses to the following words below. Adding -ed to a word means it took place in the past. Adding -ing to a word means it is happening in the present.
Example: play, playing, played
Verb: Past tense- ing Present tense- ed